Saturday, March 19, 2011

Haircut, Soccer, Lent

It was just what I was looking for - a fellow student (Yedidya) emailed out an offer for haircuts. The email came right when I was thinking to ask if anyone could cut my hair - it was much too long for the increasingly hot weather here. Yedidya mentioned that he didn't have much experience with cutting girls' hair, but I didn't really care. It would be a learning experience for both of us. I'd had the same hairstyle for about a decade, so I was up for something new.

Here's the result:

Not bad, ay?  My hair is actually longer in the front than the back, which isn't too evident from the picture.


Yesterday, the Arava Institute women competed in the finals of the annual Kibbutz Ketura soccer/football tournament.  It's held in honor of a deceased kibbutz member who loved soccer.  Unlike many American children, I never played soccer on any sort of team, but I think I contributed in some way - we won our first game and lost 1-0 in the final.




For Lent, I've decided to go without meat.  The dining room only serves meat during lunch and Shabbat dinner, so the circumstances are in my favor.  Fasting from meat used to be common practice for Lent (and still is in the Eastern Church).  It has only been a week and a half, but so far, so good.

Prayer request: Abstaining from meat for Lent
Praise: My classes are finally worked out (For a little while, I was persuaded to enroll in a class I wouldn't get credit for :P).  Also, today is Purim - lots of fun festivities, and I'll write more on it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment